Wednesday 16 September 2015

Raising up Innovation: the story of Rachel Sibande, Malawi's ICT girl



A career in ICT is not one that the typical Malawian girl rushes to pursue. For many years,  science, engineering and mathematics  have been branded “hard” by many  of our girls. Well, not Rachel Sibande. She is the girl that is demystifying innovation in ICT  for many of Malawi’s young ; boys and girls, techies and non techies alike.

Notably, Malawi’s centre of new ideas in ICTs for commercial and non-profit purposes, MHub is her brain child. “The hub is a platform that exposes talent and grooms ideas into viable technology solutions. We facilitate mentorship and linkages with the corporate world,” says Rachel in our interview.

No wonder Google, the search engine,   could not help but notice  this innovator. Rachel scooped the highly-prized  Google Anita Borg Award for 2015.

“I was privileged to be the only recipient from Southern Africa, of the Google Anita Borg Award. The award was given in recognition of the research work in developing a technology platform for citizen engagement as part of my Doctoral studies at Rhodes University in South Africa.”
She gives credit to God and her father for raising the  innovator in her early in life. 

“Growing up I was tasked to do pretty much same chores like my brothers. My parents repeatedly emphasized that I could do “ANYTHING”, only if I put my heart to it, worked hard and had faith in God.  I still hear my Father’s words echo in my head until today; well, you can imagine that he still gets to say that to me even now that I am his big girl! As a result; it has never occurred to me that a profession had a gender. 

Rachel's dreams are really big. She believes that Malawi has a lot of untapped innovation in its young people which if nurtured could contribute to the advancements in the health, education and agricultural sectors as well as provide foreign exchange for Malawi through exporting of technological expertise

No comments:

Post a Comment